In New Zealand, there’s been a lot of talk about making our rivers swimmable again. The thought of that depresses me.
It’s not that I don’t want to make our rivers cleaner; quite the opposite. What depresses me is that the goal of making our waterways swimmable is so very lacking in ambition. I remember when nearly every river was drinkable in this beautiful country and that’s the way I want it to be again.
Why just swim when you can drink?
The government has announced a target to make 90 percent of rivers swimmable by 2040. Today, less than 40 percent of rivers pass the test. This is an absolute disgrace. But the damage has been done and we now need to find a way to make our rivers drinkable for all once again.
We think it’s worth going for!
This will require lots of meaningful dialogue between all players in the system we have co-created together. We will need a thoughtful, compassionate, forgiving, creative, open, trusting, and radical exchange of ideas between all parties involved in order to come up with meaningful solutions.
Let’s change the conversation from "swimmable" to "drinkable" by doing something; anything is infinitely better than nothing and if everyone of us does something, then together we WILL make all our rivers drinkable again… Take a stand.
Will you Do Something for Drinkable Rivers?
Things you can do right now:
- Share this page now on Facebook, Twitter or to friends via email.
- Register your email below to show your support and stay informed with occasional updates.
- Add the Drinkable Rivers badge below to your website, to show your support.
- Reduce meat and dairy. Eat more veges, fruit, nuts, and seeds instead; the planet, you, and your bank account will be healthier.
- If point 4 seems impossible, try animal-free one day a week or switch from white coffee to black coffee.
- Watch Cowspiracy (also on Netflix)
- Engage with your local MP about your rivers.
- Join us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Share a photo of yourself drinking from a drinkable river - using #drinkablerivers.
- Join the conversation in the Loomio forum.